Friday, March 14, 2014

Book Review: Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily (audiobook)
by  Jodi Lynn Anderson
Date Read: 3/14/14
Rating: ★ ★ ★ 


This story ended up being different than I expected.  I didn’t expect such a deep story, especially in a book that was relatively short.  Tiger Lily takes place in the world of Neverland that we all know from the Disney movie.  We are given some brief history to Neverland and the reasoning behind no one growing up – though everyone stops aging at different times in their lives.  I thought this was most unique, and I really enjoyed how it all came back together at the end of the story.

This story is told from Tinkerbell’s POV.  It allowed us to see the story from multiple angles so it wasn’t all one sided.  I think that is what made this story so interesting.  Though, I did keep wondering that if she can’t communicate, how is she telling us a story??  But nevertheless, I really enjoyed that the author chose to write the story this way.  The reader is able to connect to all the characters a lot better with an unbiased (sort of) character telling the story.

This is a love story that may not have the happy ending you’re expecting.  I never in my wildest dreams thought of a relationship between Tiger Lily and Peter, but once it was there, it was quite sweet.  They were very different from each other, and seemed to not quite be able to be to each other what they needed.  One thing that I didn’t like about this story is that they were supposed to be 15 and 16, and yet, at times, they sounded much younger.  Their romance was neat to watch unfold, and how she had to keep it a secret from her village and the man she was betrothed to.

I didn’t expect to see the theme of the Englander coming and trying to force new beliefs upon the tribe.  As everyone else has said, it actually sounds a lot like when the English came to America and took over the Native Americans, forcing their beliefs, etc on them.  Tiger Lily’s tribe was fearful so they followed him, and a terrible sacrifice was made by a character we love.  I was shocked by it.

I didn’t expect Wendy to actually show up so early in this book. But I thought it added a great depth to the story.  It creates a jealousy in Tiger Lily – and Tink.  Though I still don’t think Tinkerbell was nearly as jealous as she is supposed to be.  And it shows us that jealousy can lead us down dark path.  And once you’re there, what do you do?  How do you come back from it?

There was a lot of wrap up to this story, which I enjoyed.  It spans 80 years after the events of the book.  Apparently the author is not planning a sequel.  But that is refreshing actually.  This story is a great standalone book, and those just don’t really exist anymore.  I’m happy about where all the characters ended up, and the letter at the end was very sweet.

Overall I really enjoyed this book.  Anyone who enjoys the Neverland world and Peter Pan’s story should pick this up.  And now I think I’m going to pick up the original Peter Pan books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...