Thursday, May 14, 2015

Book Review: Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand

Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand
by  Gail Carson Levine (Goodreads Author)David Christiana (Illustrator)
Date Read:  5/14/15
Rating: ★ ★ 

I finally finished this book!  This story actually felt pretty long. I feel like it was drawn out to make it the number of pages the publisher wanted.  The beginning of the book wasn’t bad.  It was interesting enough and moved right along.  It was about halfway through when everyone was going through wand madness and making wishes and then seeing the repercussions of those wishes that seemed to drag on.

[SPOILER: Specifically the parts that felt long were between the mermaids Soop and Pah, and also with Rani-bat.  While Rani-bat was semi-interesting, it dragged out…and then the dialog between them got annoying. “Esteemed bat…Esteemed fairy…esteemed bat…esteemed fairy” UGH. END SPOILER]

The illustrations were beautiful though, just like the last book.  I actually like Tinker Bell as well.  I’m glad I own both the books and found both of them at the used book sale.  I’ll read them to my daughter when she’s a little older.  I just wish the story was written a little bit better.  I get that it’s written for kids,  but I feel like you can have a story at a simple level with a good pace of beginning, middle, and end.  Maybe if they had made the story 50 pages shorter I would be singing it’s praises. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...