Friday, May 15, 2015

Book Review: Marathon

Marathon
by  Boaz YakinJoe Infurnari (Illustrations)
Date Read:  5/08/15
Rating: ★ ★ 

Marathon was actually a pretty good graphic novel.  Having gone to Greece 1.5 years ago, I really appreciate Greek mythology and settings.  This is the story of a man who is a messenger in ancient Greece.

The beginning of the story was hard for me to follow.  It starts out as a young boy and trying to follow which one he was was hard, and there were so many different Kings. I couldn’t keep track of who was who.  Part of it was the illustrations…the people didn’t look different enough – and since there wasn’t any color used, you couldn’t even use clothing to really differentiate.

Once the story really got going though it got clearer and the story was actually pretty interesting.  It’s a bit violent though – so I guess I’m glad for less color. Haha.  The ending was a little ambiguous also. [SPOILER: I wasn’t able to tell whether he just passed out from exhaustion or whether he died.  It was very unclear.  I choose to believe that he survived – the only one, and lived a happy life with his wife. END SPOILER].

It was a quick read and I liked the mythology that was sprinkled in.  For instance, the reference to Pan.  It was well written. I just wish the beginning and ending were a little clearer.  Overall a good read though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...