Monday, August 10, 2015

Book Review: The Carnivorous Carnival (A series of Unfortunate Events #9)

The Carnivorous Carnival (#9)
by  Lemony Snicket
Date Read:  8/10/15
Rating: ★ ★ 
 

I’m starting to really enjoy these books now. In this story, the Baudelaire’s had to disguise themselves this time, to hide from Count Olaf and try to determine where to look for the survivor of the fire.

This book has been the longest book so far in the series, a total of 5 hours / 5 discs, but it felt like we blew through this.  It has been a while since someone was killed violently. Jacques Snicket died in The Vile Village, but he didn’t burn at the stake like I thought he would. So, while sad, it was almost refreshing for someone to be eaten by lions!  These poor kids have seen more (and very violent) death than anyone in the world (expect perhaps soldiers in war). 

Again, I’m really enjoying the mystery and seeing a few things unravel here and there. I can’t wait to see what comes next. I actually liked that the tables turned in this book, and the kids had to disguise themselves against Olaf – but honestly, how did he fall for those disguises?!

I expect things to really ramp up from here. I think we’ll start seeing more of the mystery unveil. This seems to be getting more mature as the stories progress – the plot is actually starting to get thick and there are so many layers.  And to think I almost gave up after about book 4 of the same plot line. I urge people to keep reading and pushing through. I think this series is actually going to get pretty good by the end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...